(IC) The End or the Beginning?   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Gar Irontooth
 Barbarian-Ranger, 298 posts
 HP: 58/58; AC: 16
 Fort: 9; Ref: 6; Wil: 3
Mon 23 Nov 2020
at 18:23
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Gar smiles at his friends outlook. "My friend, if there were more clergymen like you, then people like me might consider following a god."

He took a sidelong glance at him. "...might."
Lyrian Swift
 Rogue-Wizard, 206 posts
 HP: 40/32; AC: 20
 Fort: 3; Ref: 11; Will: 2
Sat 28 Nov 2020
at 05:40
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Dungeon Master:
THE OLD ONES (DRUID GROVE-ROY/LYR/TAI)
The druid talks to the rogue, and is provided with some coins. He passes two potions to the woman, shoving it into his pack "It depends on how they are approached. Drawn weapons, they won't care and will fight you. No weapons? Hard to tell. Some may view you as weak, some may view you as strong. The ones there are not monsters. They want to survive and will do what it takes to make it so. I do not know if they joined with them even if they are still in the area."

Tai watches this, occasionally repeating the talk with small chirps. He seems intrigued with what is going on.

For Sale if asked:
Potion of Barkskin (SOLD), Cure Light Wounds (SOLD), Lesser Restoration, and Neutralize Poison. Avarthel can make brew potions of druid spells of 3rd level or lower


"That is useful to know. I am not sure we'll run into any of the giants, but if there is a chance we can deal with them without anyone breaking their heads for no reason, that would be for the best.  Thank you," Lyrian says to the druid.

Lyrian will happily go with Roywin to the wizard's house, as certainly she could use more exposure to those who have learned the art from a young age!

This message was last edited by the GM at 11:40, Sat 28 Nov 2020.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 670 posts
Mon 30 Nov 2020
at 22:43
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
The group ends up meeting slighty before the inn and head for the house of Sertieren the Wise. Its an old manor house with a handsome view from the bluffs over looking the river., this is the residence of the wizard Sertieren. The outside of the home has a eery feel about it but a passerbye in the town notes he has been reclusive and its rumored the house is haunted. Whether it is or not remains to be seen. The door is closed. Tai watches the area, whistling at times.
Gar Irontooth
 Barbarian-Ranger, 299 posts
 HP: 58/58; AC: 16
 Fort: 9; Ref: 6; Wil: 3
Mon 30 Nov 2020
at 22:53
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Gar, seeing the others, nods again in meeting them. When they approach the house, his look goes to concern. "Seen stronger looking lean to's in the forest." Despite his bluster, he has an unesy feeling about the place.
Roywin Viasaquilla
 Illusion-MSpecialist, 80 posts
 42/42; AC 14; F:6 R:5 W:9
Mon 30 Nov 2020
at 23:11
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Roywin motions towards the entrance and for a second she seems she's about to knock the door, but when she's a couple of (gnome) steps away from the door she stops.
"Should we disturb the poor man? If he's been so reclusive I don't think he'd appreciate the visit... It's always nice to me when I meet a fellow arcane practitioner, but not at the expense of his tranquility."
She smiles gently at the rest and then her smile turns a little bit wicked.
"Ok, I'll knock once and of he doesn't respond I'll let him be."
Sheb knocks the door once. She seems to enjoy it.
Landor Halbrek
 Cleric, 364 posts
 HP: 64/64 AC: 22
 Fort: 9 Ref: 3 Will: 9
Wed 2 Dec 2020
at 17:26
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Landor watches as the gnome knocks on the door. “If the hobgoblins make their way into town, I doubt they will be considerate enough to not disturb him. A minor inconvenience to prevent a much larger one.”
Lyrian Swift
 Rogue-Wizard, 208 posts
 HP: 40/32; AC: 20
 Fort: 3; Ref: 11; Will: 2
Tue 8 Dec 2020
at 10:50
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
"Hopefully the worst that can happen is that he'll tell us not to bother him.  But I hope the troubles the town has had means he's maybe been thinking of answers..." Lyrian says, looking up a the the windows with a pleasant expression, in chase Sertieren the Wise chose to look them over before answering the door. She wanted to look welcoming, not like a pest.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 672 posts
Thu 10 Dec 2020
at 23:58
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Knock knock.

No one comes to the door.

As the half-orc mutters out about a lean-to, he gets one hell of a hit to his belly. It doesn't harm him but its rather surprising as a man appears near him with a quarterstaff aim at the side of his head "Its a lot stronger then a lean-to. And mark my words-go for your blades and you won't have a arm." The mage stares at Gar, obviously within seconds he's gotten on the mages bad side "I suggest you sit down and don't say a word."

Tai reaches for his sword, half-out but stops, watching the man. His eyes narrow, perhaps judging the distance.

The old man pulls his quarterstaff back "If you want help, don't ask."  He steps back, leaning on his staff. The man seems to be a human "Poor man? Poor man you say? Then why ask for my help? I heard you. Not deaf I say! Not deaf! Hobgoblins you say? Not near my house and if they were....." He grins "If yer going to insult my house which you just -did-...." He watches the odd group, rubbing his unkept beard "So lets see. A Pelorian eh?" He turns towards the gnome, eyes narrowed "Mage." Turning towards the elf "Stop I'm good at this. Hard one. A mage but not..." Glancing at the samurai "Warrior." And he looks at the half-orc "And a idiot." He chuckles under his breath.

"Sertieren the Wise. So what do you want? Information? Looking for some arcane magic? Or wandering up here for the hell of it? Speak up! I got a nap and whiskey waiting on me. I'd say come in but its a lean-to. Not good enough for you. That house been in my family for ages. Ages!" The man goes to the door and leans against the door, listening to it "My gods! That girl wants me dead! Her parents got all killed right here right where you stand! Best watch yourself or...." He moves from the house, eyes wide "They are here! Quick duck down an' they won't see yah!"
Gar Irontooth
 Barbarian-Ranger, 300 posts
 HP: 58/58; AC: 16
 Fort: 9; Ref: 6; Wil: 3
Fri 11 Dec 2020
at 00:11
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Gar doubles over more out of suprise than pain, his eyes narrowing dangerously at the old man who just slammed him in his stomach. Standing up, he glared at the man as he spoke. When he judged them all and came to himself, he clenched his fists and jaw. "Careful you old fool, or this idiot will tear your arm off and beat ya to death with the soggy end!"
Landor Halbrek
 Cleric, 365 posts
 HP: 64/64 AC: 22
 Fort: 9 Ref: 3 Will: 9
Fri 11 Dec 2020
at 17:16
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Landor holds up his hand and glances back at Gar. “You insulted his home. Are you surprised that he would return with insults in kind? This chest puffing match will end from the both of you.” When the wizard mentions people and hiding, a thin smile crosses his lips. “Agree to help us and we’ll hide. Tic tok.”
Dungeon Master
 GM, 674 posts
Fri 11 Dec 2020
at 17:28
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
"Chest puffing? He started it and I defended my home. There is no chest puffing other then him. And this is how you treat others? Is everyone beneath you? This is my home. Unless you got something important to say then leave. And why should I agree when you stand there wanting to get what you want for nothing? Nothing I say! Fine. They will rush in and kill you all. Rush rush rush. Think I care? Hell no. Your just some people I don't even know. Hell with you." Seems like Lan and Gar got on his bad side "That idiot won't have arms to do it. And I will rip them off, beat him down and then I'll do the same to him. Nice hello there. How are you? . I don't insult people's homes right off the bat. No, not at all." He stops in his tracks and kneels down, putting his hand on the ground "They are coming! Coming I say! Go on and hide. Or die. Don't care either way I say. Not at all. Won't get anything from me. Insult my home. Hell with you." He taps the door after he stands up and it opens and goes to go in.
Roywin Viasaquilla
 Illusion-MSpecialist, 81 posts
 42/42; AC 14; F:6 R:5 W:9
Fri 11 Dec 2020
at 20:27
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Roywin looked at the whole scene with a look of disbelief in her face. "What just happened?"
She looks around and then at the door again. "Does any of you know who is coming that got him so concerned?" the old wizard is really puzzled with this whole scene. "Should we knock again? Should we hide? Should we just leave?" she asks to the others.
Landor Halbrek
 Cleric, 366 posts
 HP: 64/64 AC: 22
 Fort: 9 Ref: 3 Will: 9
Sat 12 Dec 2020
at 01:53
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Landor shrugs. “I guess we hide and see what happens.”The cleric looks for the largest tree and hides behind it.
Lyrian Swift
 Rogue-Wizard, 209 posts
 HP: 40/32; AC: 20
 Fort: 3; Ref: 11; Will: 2
Sat 12 Dec 2020
at 09:40
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Lyrian watched her companions and the slightly dotty wizard with surprise and a bit of astonishment.  True, it wasn't nice to insult someone's home, but she greatly doubted Gar had intended Sertieren to hear his comment.  And then Sertieren reminded her of a cranky old beast-tamer from her circus days, a cantankerous old coot who still knew his business better than anyone, but lived partially in his own world, and had little patience for those who couldn't follow his own twisted logic.

"Sertieren the Wise, we did not mean to start this conversation off so badly!" she says to him (or to the door/doorway where he had gone).  "We came here because we had learned of the problem with the hobgoblins, and we wanted to learn what we could of them and hoped you could help us, please!  I am Lyrian Swift, and yes, I am a newcomer to the arcane arts.  If there is anything you could tell us or teach me, it would be appreciated."
Gar Irontooth
 Barbarian-Ranger, 301 posts
 HP: 58/58; AC: 16
 Fort: 9; Ref: 6; Wil: 3
Sat 12 Dec 2020
at 11:20
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Gar glared at the man as he went on his rant, saying nothing (though in his mind he contemplated many a gruesome thing with the stupid human)

When the door slammed, he snorted. "Leave the fool be....I hope the hobgoblins or whatever come for him. Wether they take him our or him them, it will be agood day."

The half orc walked a way off waiting for the others
Roywin Viasaquilla
 Illusion-MSpecialist, 82 posts
 42/42; AC 14; F:6 R:5 W:9
Sat 12 Dec 2020
at 14:20
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Roywin looks a little surprised by the comments from her friends.
"If you want my opinion, I think we should hide, but to get some advantage against whatever is coming. we came to this town because it needed help. And if whatever is coming are Hobgoblins we should definitely stop them and try to capture one of them for interrogation."
She smiles at Our and Gar. "We should do this even when some of the residents are not welcoming us. Anyway, let's get ready."
Roywin will cast Mage Armour to herself and try to find a nice bush or tree to hide behind it.

AC:18

14:19, Today: Roywin Viasaquilla rolled 23 using 1d20+4.  Hide. – [roll=1607782745.64143.347405]

This message was last edited by the player at 14:21, Sat 12 Dec 2020.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 675 posts
Sun 20 Dec 2020
at 14:49
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
The door is slammed shut. But nothing happens. Everything outside is quiet besides the normal nature sounds. Tai stares at Gar. His eyes narrow at him, knowing the man got the better of the half-orc but his attitude seem to change. He stands up, trying to come out with the best words and copies Gar and Sertieren "Tear your arm off" He tilts his head "Idiot." Same as the old man. He ruffles his feathers “Tic tok.” He tries again "Chest puffing. Defend his home." The kenku caws out for a moment and just seems to want to put it out there but probably didn't. If Gar steps near him he backs away-same as the cleric. His eyes nod to the mage, seeming to agree with most of what she said but he walks up to the door and taps it a few times. The kenku peaks around, hand on his sword.

A minute passes and the old man peaks out from behind the door, holding his whiskey and looks down at the crow-creature "Eh? What you want? Come in. You..." He looks around, eyes narrowed "That there mage an' that odd elf. Just you three. Three I say! Come on now, don't got all day."
Landor Halbrek
 Cleric, 367 posts
 HP: 64/64 AC: 22
 Fort: 9 Ref: 3 Will: 9
Sun 20 Dec 2020
at 15:37
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Landor stayed behind the tree.
Roywin Viasaquilla
 Illusion-MSpecialist, 83 posts
 42/42; AC 14; F:6 R:5 W:9
Mon 21 Dec 2020
at 15:49
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Roywin has found a good hiding spot, but when the wizard calls them she approaches the main door.
"Apologies Sertieren,I don't want to leave my friends outside by their own if a threat is coming. I would not want to leave those young gentlemen alone to face whatever is coming by their own. They will need my help."
She continues to talk to the wizard, trying to let the rest of the gang in.
"You know, this young men might be a little direct sometimes, by they have a good heart."
The old gnome gives the wizard the best of her smiles, while from the corner of her eye checks for whatever is coming.

This message was last edited by the player at 20:36, Mon 21 Dec 2020.

Lyrian Swift
 Rogue-Wizard, 210 posts
 HP: 40/32; AC: 20
 Fort: 3; Ref: 11; Will: 2
Tue 22 Dec 2020
at 05:44
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
The old wizard was a crotchety sort, that was for certain, though if he was half-mad it was hard to tell.  He liked this his way, that was for certain, and likely didn't want his home overrun with strangers.  That was understandable enough, and if his advice or teaching proved less than useful, well, they had other plans they could use.  And if the old wizard did have good advise, then a little acquiescing to his whims was a small price to pay.

"Landor, Gar, I think we'll be all right," she says quietly, not wanting to contradict Roywin or give their host another reason to want them to leave.  "I'll come in, sir."  She put down Ingrid, her weasel familiar, and went to go inside, holding the door open for Tai and Roywin (and whoever else Roywin could convince to be let in).
Gar Irontooth
 Barbarian-Ranger, 304 posts
 HP: 58/58; AC: 16
 Fort: 9; Ref: 6; Wil: 3
Mon 4 Jan 2021
at 10:44
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Gar snorted, waiting outside and away from the house, mumbling in orcish with arms crossed and a stern look on his face. He leaned against a tree looking out into the wild, his demeanor smoldering
Dungeon Master
 GM, 681 posts
Sat 16 Jan 2021
at 13:26
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
When part of the group enters the home, the wizard sits down and takes some wine. He sips it and smiles "What you want? Eh? Speak up, I don't have all day. Night. You know what I mean. Speak up I say or leave." His eyes narrow and pulls out a scroll, looking as if reading it. The kenku whistles and sits down crosslegged and watching him intently.

Outside, nothing happen. Its quiet. Nothing creeps out and its relatively peaceful despite the village getting attacked at times.
Lyrian Swift
 Rogue-Wizard, 212 posts
 HP: 40/32; AC: 20
 Fort: 3; Ref: 11; Will: 2
Tue 19 Jan 2021
at 03:06
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
"Wizard Sertieren, we are here because of the hobgoblin attacks on your village.  We know they are supposed to lair in the ruined keep, and were wondering if there was a way you could see it from afar with magic.  I am new to the arcane arts and don't yet have that mastery, and you are far more familiar with the area than we are.  Will you help us?" Lyrian asks politely.
Roywin Viasaquilla
 Illusion-MSpecialist, 85 posts
 42/42; AC 14; F:6 R:5 W:9
Tue 19 Jan 2021
at 11:14
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Roywin nods as Lyr speaks. "We came to your town as my friend says to help with the hobgoblin attacks. On top of the divination services that she's suggesting, I was wondering if you've found or felt anything that seems odd from your perspective, either in the town or around it. It is uncommon for hobgoblins to be so aggressive towards the town. It's either there is something here they want really strongly or they have been organised by a much stronger being... or both. Any information or thoughts you have on this will be much appreciated."
The gnome smiles as she waits for the man to answer them.
Landor Halbrek
 Cleric, 369 posts
 HP: 64/64 AC: 22
 Fort: 9 Ref: 3 Will: 9
Tue 19 Jan 2021
at 18:08
Re: (IC) The End or the Beginning?
Landor leaned against the tree he was hiding behind. At least this was a way to keep watch for hobgoblins while the other two talked to the wizard.