(IC) Village of Mapleville.   Posted by Dungeon Master.Group: 0
Dungeon Master
 GM, 57 posts
Fri 4 Sep 2020
at 01:36
(IC) Village of Mapleville
As the woman goes to say something, she is interupted by Maria. Her eyes open wide "Maria! Is that you? Oh my! Oh my!" She hobbles over to the halfling and goes to hug her but stops as she sees all the spikes "What in tarnations? I am glad to see you!" She looks at her, looking from her tiny feet to her body "Come now, you didn't see your parents? They didn't let you stay? Oh my manners! This is well a newcomer? I didn't catch your name?" She glances at Tal and takes the gold and tosses it back "No no. I can't accept it. For you, its free. Come now both you, come sit. I will fetch you some ale or tea or...of course. I got some stew and bread. Its so nice to see you." The woman smiles "The mayor? He should be home. Tis odd. Probably at the temple. I bet he will return soon." She rubs her chin "Come sit and I will return." She glances at the three people.
Talitha Deschain
 Human Gunslinger, 31 posts
Fri 4 Sep 2020
at 11:31
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Talitha is sitting in the counter next to where Maris is sitting.
"Hello, my name is Talitha Deschain. I'm here just for business, should be leaving in a couple of days. I can see you are from around. I'll be glad to have done conversation while eating.
While she waits for the food she'll reply to the innkeeper
"Mayor's house was oddly locked. Not like if he just went to run some errands. More like gone for a long trip... Anyway after eating I'll check again and if noone's home I'll check the temple. I'll need some directions."

This message was last edited by the player at 11:31, Fri 04 Sept 2020.

Maria Bumblestone
 Halfling Fighter, 2 posts
 AC: 18 FF: 14 TC: 15
 CMD: 15 HP: 10/10
Fri 4 Sep 2020
at 22:54
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Maria pulls a chunk of bread away from the loaf and starts to nibble at it while  she leans on the counter. "Of course I went to see my parents, but they still haven't forgiven me for leaving. Not that I don't understand them." Maria lets out a sigh, "At least they still have Peter. They would never forgive me if I had left them without an heir to the cobblery."

Maria turns to Talitha and looks at them pensively for a moment and quaffs the ale before coming to a decision. "The church wasn't here when I left. If you would like company when you go, then I would be interested in finding out what they are up to in there." Maria ends her statement with an enthusiastic gesture towards the church having replaced the bread in her hand with a bit of cheese.

This message was last edited by the player at 02:22, Sat 05 Sept 2020.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 63 posts
Sat 5 Sep 2020
at 01:38
(IC) Village of Mapleville
After the innkeep comes out with three bowls of stew, the woman sits down and sips it "Locked? Oh dear he doesn't just leave. No, not at all. You must be mistaken, my dear. He never leaves. This is his home, has little reason for leaving. I bet he will return, do not fret." Another sip and she motions to the food and bread as well as ale "Come now, eat up. And indeed the temple is small and quaint. Peter you say? I bet he is glad your home as well as your parents, mark my words my dear Maria." She takes some of her tea.
Xander Balus
 NPC, 1 post
Sun 6 Sep 2020
at 01:41
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Coming down the steps is a young man. He adjusts his glasses as he is reading something and not paying attention. The man walks over to the bar and sits, putting it down in front of him focuses on it. He flicks a few pages. Pondering, he taps the bar and the others catch his eye as he looks up but then he looks back at his book. His clothing looks old but decent, a cloak as well. Most of the colors are a bright blue, grey or white coloration. The frame of the man looks thin.

OOC
Perception Check

Maria Bumblestone
 Halfling Fighter, 3 posts
 AC: 18 FF: 14 TC: 15
 CMD: 15 HP: 10/10
Sun 6 Sep 2020
at 05:42
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Maria's ears wiggle with intense focus, panning slightly to take in the entirety of the bar.


Spoiler text: (Highlight or hover over the text to view)
OOC: 00:39, Today: Maria Bumblestone rolled 24 using 1d20+4. Tavern Perception.

Talitha Deschain
 Human Gunslinger, 35 posts
Sun 6 Sep 2020
at 07:01
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Talitha very kindly accepts Maria's proposal.
"I would be glad if you'd help me around in town. A local is always the best guide. I'd like to go and check the mayor's house again before, if that's fine."
Then the young man goes down the stairs and his behaviour catches Talitha's attention.

07:50, Today: Talitha Deschain rolled 20 using 1d20+7. Perception. [roll=1599375026.94703.347974]
Dungeon Master
 GM, 65 posts
Sun 6 Sep 2020
at 11:51
(IC) Village of Mapleville
When they casually look around, he has some odd complex blue markings that swirl across their skin. They are faint but there.

The innkeeper glances at her then at Maria and Tal "Talks very little. Seems intent on books. He knows we got a small bookshop but seems hesitent. Strange of course. Maria knows of this but we got a small village. Of course we got a small storage area for food for the main village areas. We got farmers that come and go selling their wares and odds and ends. Oh and the temple. And a town hall. Mostly farms. Cobble area. A well, a mill linked to it. Most you need can be provided if its well normal so to speak." She sips her tea after she finishes her food "Stables of course, almost forgot." She seems hesitant.

She stands up, taking her kettle and a cup and goes to him, pouring the tea into the cup. He nods his head and smiles briefly up at her as he sips the tea and goes back to reading.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:37, Sun 06 Sept 2020.

Talitha Deschain
 Human Gunslinger, 37 posts
Sun 6 Sep 2020
at 22:25
(IC) Village of Mapleville
"Odd man. I met a few of these book obsessed guys before. They usually end up hitting his head to a column because they keep their noses in their books even when walking. Talitha makes a funny comment to Maria in a quiet voice.
"Anyway, should we make a move? I'd like to check again the mayor's house before checking in the temple."
Dungeon Master
 GM, 70 posts
Sun 6 Sep 2020
at 22:37
(IC) Village of Mapleville
The man turns, hearing what was said and sighs. He stands up, grabbing his book. Adjusting his hood, he raises it up and turns from them, fiddling and tapping the bar "Would it be alright if I...."

"No need to ask. Go on. If you need anything let me know." THe inkeeper watches the man. She turns and puts her plump hands over her lap. She smiles and once done, grabs the dishes and empty mug and goes into the kitchen, returning shortly and leaning on the bar.

Xander nods his head and heads out through the front door.

"Well I will be here of course. Be well." THe innkeep nods.
Maria Bumblestone
 Halfling Fighter, 4 posts
 AC: 18 FF: 14 TC: 15
 CMD: 15 HP: 10/10
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 02:15
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Maria nods to Talitha and says, "Let's get on with it then." She drops out of her chair with a small grunt and waits for Talitha by the door. Maria looks pensive for a moment and whispers to Talitha as they exit, "What do you think that man's up to here?"
Talitha Deschain
 Human Gunslinger, 38 posts
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 09:16
(IC) Village of Mapleville
"Thank you for the food. It was very nice."
She greets the innkeeper and moves to the front door where Maria is waiting.
"Not sure what a man like him will be doing in a small town. But I've met some of their kind. They are always looking for a weird tome of something to study, so I guess he is chasing something similar. So... How is that you left this beautiful town, and why did you come back?


That wizard rolled a 20 to hear me gossiping about him in low voice from the other table hahahaha. Anyway I like Talitha being a little bit of a big mouth.
10:09, Today: Talitha Deschain rolled 26 using 1d20+7. Perception check. [roll=1599469783.22351.347974]

This message was last edited by the player at 09:17, Mon 07 Sept 2020.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 72 posts
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 09:58
(IC) Village of Mapleville
As the two of them leave the inn, the gunslinger notices the man entering the stables the next building over attached to the inn. The marketplace and square are the typical spots. Like before, small tents and carts line the area with people selling goods-mainly food. Humphee's tent is closed. The mayor's home sits near the main square not far from the inn.
Xander Balus
 NPC, 2 posts
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 14:23
(IC) Village of Mapleville
A minute passes and Xander sits down on the ground in the stable area by the inn. He adjusts his feet, indian style and pulls out some parchment. He looks up at times towards the stables then goes back to what he's writing keeping his hood over his face.
Talitha Deschain
 Human Gunslinger, 40 posts
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 16:24
(IC) Village of Mapleville
As they leave the inn Talitha notices something odd from the stables. Some grunting sound, like something being licked. Not sure what it is she feels the sound does not match what should be on a stable, so she makes a mental note to have a look later if she can get some work done today.
They both go to the mayor's house once again and Talitha knocks on the door.
"Do you know the mayor? I hope he's back from where he went." asks to Maria.
If noone replies again inside the house she'll try to open the door (just turn the doorknob).

This message was last edited by the player at 16:25, Mon 07 Sept 2020.

Dungeon Master
 GM, 76 posts
Mon 7 Sep 2020
at 16:55
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Opening the door is a elderly lady. She adjusts her glasses and peers up as she's slightly hunched over "Hello?" The woman glances over and sees Maria "Maria? Oh my." She smiles and goes to hug the halfling and steps back "How are you? Oh I am sorry. I am Helga." She smiles as she looks over at Tal.

This message was last edited by the GM at 17:16, Mon 07 Sept 2020.

Maria Bumblestone
 Halfling Fighter, 5 posts
 AC: 18 FF: 14 TC: 15
 CMD: 15 HP: 10/10
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 01:42
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Maria looks up to Talitha as she walks. "I went to town because I didn't want to spend the rest of my life cobbling like my father and brother. My father took it a little less kindly than I would've appreciated," Maria lets out a long sigh, "They still deserve to know I'm alive and kicking though, so I thought that I would stop here before I set out on my next adventure. Even if my mother was the only one willing to talk to me." She scuffs her boots on the dirt road and kicks a stone loose as she reminisces.

As Talitha knocks on the mayor's door Maria answers, "Yeah, he has been mayor for as long as I can remember." She turns to look at Helga as she answers the door. Maria notices Helga's aborted hug and sighs, "Here, give me a moment. Not my brightest idea putting these back in," as she removes her armor spikes. Once they have been removed, she gives Helga a hearty hug with a smile, "I'm doing well enough. How are your grandkids doing?"

20:26, Today: Maria Bumblestone rolled 16 using 1d20+4.  exiting tavern perception.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 80 posts
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 02:39
(IC) Village of Mapleville
"Oh they are doing well. But my daughter has been sick. Her husband has been taken care of them, rightly so. Loves them dearly he does. His life is for her and the kids, nothing more. Such a dear." The old woman leans against the door "And you are?" She seems slightly happy to see Maria, and glances at Tal "Oh my manners. Would you like to see my husband? He has been ill. I can check to see if he is up for visitors. Rather old gets the better of us at times."

Across the way, Xander stands up and puts his parchement and notepad into his pack. He goes back into the stables for a moment and comes out before moving to head back to the inn but something makes one heck of a sound.

ROAR!

Xander stops, lowering his head and taking off his glasses before replacing them and turns back to the stables and heads back to it.

People stops and look at the stables and rush back into their homes, clearing out the area. Humphree pops his head out "What in blazes was that?"

Helga looks at the stables, adjusting her glasses.

This message was last edited by the GM at 02:49, Tue 08 Sept 2020.

Maria Bumblestone
 Halfling Fighter, 6 posts
 AC: 18 FF: 14 TC: 15
 CMD: 15 HP: 10/10
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 06:33
(IC) Village of Mapleville
"I think we are about to find out!" Maria exclaims as she takes off towards the stables. She throws a look back and shouts, "Are you coming Talitha?" Maria might not know what was going on, but she had a dawning suspicion that her pony's life expectancy was dropping by the moment.
Talitha Deschain
 Human Gunslinger, 43 posts
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 08:41
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Talitha hesitates for a couple of seconds and finally talks to Helga.
"I'm sorry to hear your husband is not feeling well right now. I come on behalf of Mr. Deschain, the firearms craftsman. Your husband wanted to have a weapons created by my master and he sent me to discuss the details. He was expecting me today, but I understand that this is not the best time."
She takes a couple of seconds and continues.
"If you could let me know when it would be a better time I'll come back then."
Once Helga replies with a more suitable time she'll say goodbye politely and follow Maria back to the stables.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 82 posts
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 12:08
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Helga rubs her chin "I will talk to him. Perhaps tonight if that works?" Her eyes dart towards the stables.

The wizard pauses and holds a hand up towards Maria and Tal as they approach. Xander looks into the room and suddenly a massive tiger leaps from the stables ignoring him. It then stares at Maria, growling and lets out a roar. It has some sort of leather armor, moving between the man and the two woman approaching as if guarding him.


Xander moves towards him casually as the tiger slowly growls. He whistles "Nala down!" The tiger growls again and then lowers itself to the ground. Xander gets in its face, watching him. Oddly the albino tiger would be white and black but strangely the black stripes are more of a blue color.

Humphree jumps up and ducks back into his tent! Some people watch from their second floor.
Talitha Deschain
 Human Gunslinger, 45 posts
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 20:28
(IC) Village of Mapleville
Talitha tenses when the best appears and you see her hand instinctively going to her side where her pistol is. When Xander controls the beast she seems to relax slightly.
"Are you allowed to keep this best in the premises? there is a lot of people that creature could hurt. You should be more careful with leaving animals like this one unchained."
And checks for Maria's response as a local before continuing.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 85 posts
Tue 8 Sep 2020
at 21:50
(IC) Village of Mapleville
"You see a threat. I see a ally." The wizard doesn't look at her and stands up, the tiger looks up at him and he whistles. It stands up and nudges his arm. It looks at the gunslinger and growls "And is it wise to ride horses? Could they not harm as well? She watches. Waits. But harm others she won't unless threatend." He seems calm.

When Nala hears being chained, it growls. The wizard gently pets his head, slow and steady. He motions for the two of them to come over, despite the growling.

Slowly people come out, seeing as it calmed down but they give the tiger and wizard a wide bearth. Humphree remains in his tent and Helga watches what is going on seeming to not be afraid. Perhaps she has seen a lot "As long as he can control it, then I suppose it is alright. But if it does harm anyone, he will be asked to leave."

This message was last edited by the GM at 23:31, Tue 08 Sept 2020.

Maria Bumblestone
 Halfling Fighter, 8 posts
 AC: 19 FF: 14 TC: 16
 CMD: 16 HP: 10/10
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 23:12
(IC) Village of Mapleville
As the tiger roars at Maria, she crouches her knees, squares her shoulders, leans back, takes in a deep breath, and lets loose a roar. At least, she attempts to roar. Instead, it comes out closer to a pitiful mewl as she breaks into a coughing fit. She splutters and coughs, "F-First... rule of tavern fighting... don't blink... first."

Maria takes a moment to catch her breath after Talitha's statement and pounds a hand on their chest to clear their throat. Maria responds to Xander, "When is the last time you heard of a horse mauling someone and eating them? Sure, you can get your head split open if you poke their buttocks, but they aren't going to eat anyone." She frowns as she hears Helga's answer, but stops herself from answering. Their town, their rules. It's not my place to change them.

She cautiously walks around the tiger to check on her pony. Perhaps it would still live out a long life instead of becoming tiger chow.

17:52, Today: Maria Bumblestone rolled 7 using 1d20+5.  Counter-roar: Intimidate the tiger back.
Dungeon Master
 GM, 94 posts
Wed 9 Sep 2020
at 23:32
(IC) Village of Mapleville
The tiger growls at the halfling, eyes narrowed. It keeps its jaw open and Xander gently pets its head. Its a lot bigger then the halfling. Heads haunched up it leaps and lands in front of the halfling. Face to face with the fighter. It roars loudly. Xander moves towards it and pets its head "Relax." The tiger steps back and sits down, watching Maria. Its eyes stay locked on the halfling as it moves around and into the stable "It will not harm anyone unless provoked. Or to protect me. Please do not do that again." Xander seems calm despite what the halfing attempted.

As she goes to check on her pony, it seems fine and drinks some water inside the stables. The pony looks up at her and whinnies and goes back to drinking water and eating some hay.

"Touch him." Xander watches the gunslinger now. The tiger rests its head upon its paws, licking them.


The mayor's wife doesn't move for a moment and slowly moves towards it. When she gets to it, the tiger looks at her, eyes narrow but she goes to pet him. It growls but doesn't snap at her. Several villagers watch, the kids hiding behind their parents. It allows her to pet it for a moment and Helga backs up.

OOC
I assume you were attempted to demoralize him. DC 17. So nope!


After a few minutes, the gnome comes out back to the marketplace. He grumbles and turns, as he hears the meow from the halfling "Yes time to sell. Welcome to Humphrees!" And the roar of the tiger totally freaks him out and he darts back into the tent "I'm never going to sell anything!" It can be heard muffled from the tent. Got to love him.

This message was last edited by the GM at 01:29, Thu 10 Sept 2020.